INTRODUCING MEDIATION AND STRENGTHENING LEGAL PROFESSION
SERVICE TYPE: ADR Technical Assistance; ADR Training; Assessment & Analysis
PROJECT TIMELINE: February, 2018 – August, 2018
Today, Azerbaijan’s legislation barely refers to ADR as a form of dispute resolution. Existing arrangements to provide ADR mechanisms, such as mediation, in Azerbaijan do not exist in practice, informal practices lack clear regulations, hence reputational risks may occur.
In such context, the objective of the assignment is to assist the MOJ in establishing a pilot mediation center at the Baku City Yasamal District Court, evaluating the results from the pilot and identifying steps to strengthen the capacity of the MOJ, the legal profession and other stakeholders in facilitating the introduction of mediation in Azerbaijan.
- Pilot scheme covering all relevant steps for introducing mediation in Azerbaijan/Baku City Yasamal District Court
- Recommendation package with timelines and prioritization which aims to ensure efficient and accessible ADR/mediation services to all citizens and businesses in Azerbaijan
- Evaluation report on the working of the pilot and lessons learnt
- Consultation workshops for MOJ personnel, judges, court personnel, lawyers and other key stakeholders, to gather feedback on the pilot scheme and recommendation package
- Final draft scheme and final draft report with evaluation of the pilot and lessons learnt, specific recommendations for introducing mediation in Azerbaijan and suggestions for legislative changes and capacity-building priorities
(To be provided at the Project conclusion.)
Ministry of Justice of the Republic of Azerbaijan